Mend [verb]: to put into good shape or working order again :patch up:
Established in 2017 by Somerville artist, Emily Tirella, Make & Mend was born out of necessity. Make & Mend is a secondhand art and craft supply shop. The goal of this store is to bring gently used art supplies to the community at a reasonable rate. Previously a brick + mortar shop, we've transitioned completely online, offering affordable art supplies to everyone!
Our brick + mortar shop was our beginning, now we're growing and shifting to a more accessible and sustainable platform. Opening in May of 2018, we really got to test the theory of a niche thrift store and introduce ourselves to the community of makers in Somerville and Boston.
Art Supplies are incredibly expensive retail and many artists and makers are unable to try a multitude of mediums and grow their practice because of financial restraints. We just want people to make things, try different materials and learn from each other.
- To collect and redistribute unwanted art supplies.
- To take the intimidation out of trying new things.
- To grow community through vulnerable creativity.
- The reduce the amount of waste that goes into the art making process.
- To repair, mend, or fix something before getting rid of it.